Sunday, January 11, 2009

Takin a Shot at Blogging

I always figured that blogs were for families or couples that wanted to stay in touch with their friends. So I guess I'm going to be a family of 1 and try out blogging.














Quickly here is a wrap of what I had in the works in 2008. From January through May I was at Grad school at Butte, Montana working towards a Master's in Industrial Hygiene. From May to August I was on the North Slope of Alaska working for ConocoPhillips as an intern. I had the opportunity to visit Conoco in Houston, TX and attend an international conference for Industrial Hygienists in Minneapolis, MN. I did get to go to the Mall of America while at the conference and tour a facility that manufatured heart valves. I sincerely miss being in Alaska.

After that I came home for a few days to pack and left for an internship in Arizona, working as in intern at the Freeport- McMoRan mine in Green Valley. (A retirement community that gave new meaning to driving defensively!)














While in Arizona I was able to go to a couple job interviews in Elko, NV and one in Vancouver, Canada. I also spent a whirl wind vacation in Albuquerque, NM at the Hot Air Balloon Festival.














My internship was cut short at the mine by a month because of a sudden drop in the price of copper. 1 day after getting let go I was on the road to Montana again, where I moved back to Butte to finish the last three weeks of my fall semester online.

While in Butte I accepted a full time job offer with a mining company called RioTinto. One property they own is Kennecott in Utah. They are a U.S. based company, but they have an office in Vancouver because of their international size. I will be working in their Copper Projects office as their Industrial Hygientist.

I spent 5 days over Christmas break in Arizona and now this brings us to the present, back at school in Butte, Montana. I have one semester left which is basically 4 months of thesis work. We'll see if this blog gets updated if I make it through the thesis process.

3 comments:

  1. That truck looks like it could squish you!!! I hope you were careful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Sherry for getting the blog thingy going. You will have to keep us up on what going on in Butte as well as the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete