Monday, February 16, 2009

We Made It!



For Presidents Day a few friends and I went on a hike up the hill to the Lady of the Rockies. The hike was full of snow and rocks, but we made it on top in about 2 1/2 hours. The last part of the climb before we could see the Lady poking out of the rocks was by far the hardest. We had a beautiful sunny day with very spectacular views of Butte, the "M", Berkley pit and the area east of the statue where there is a meeting house.

The elevation I'm standing at is 3,500 feet above Butte.

This is one of my favorite photos, it overlooks "the pit" and the "M".

The view looking out from the statue.

The two friends that went with me. I think they are still wondering why I wanted to drag them up the mountain. The base they are standing on was poured with 400 tons of concrete.

Look! Look! I made it. I'm sitting on a rock lamb at the bottom of her feet. She stands at 90 feet and is the second largest statue in Montana.

This picture took a little engineering to get. It is impossible to get your head in the picture and the head of the Lady. So we are actually standing on a bench that we moved over there so you get the benefit of seeing everybody's head.

My last post had a night picture of Butte, and a small white spec of this lady. Today I got to meet her.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Sherry, that is impressive that you made that hike, especially in the snow!! I always knew you were tough enough for Butte. That hike just proved it. Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every picture is so beautiful. What a lovely trip :) and wonderful statue!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to hike up there, just never had the time! Maybe I'll get a chance to do it this summer...Looks like you had a good time

    ReplyDelete