Saturday, July 11, 2009

Vancouver, Montreal and Graduating

Its been a busy few months with several changes.

Almost two months later I finally received my Master's degree diploma. It's amazing how valuable a piece of paper becomes when your work permit depends on it! I'm very relieved to be done, finally.

1 1/2 months ago I moved to Vancouver to start my job working for RioTinto Mining. I work in their Copper Projects office, which has the responsibility of managing developing mines. Currently we have between 4-7 mines in our portfolio. Over the next couple years I will be on the company's graduate rotation program giving me the chance to move around to the different sites and learn the company.
Here's a picture of where I currently work.
The building is just off English Bay which is a main port for cruise ships coming into dock at the Pan Pacific Hotel.
Last week I flew to Montreal for a class and also got in on the International Jazz Festival. I'm stilling craving the amazing yogurt they have there, which has nothing to do with the festival.

After being in Montreal and listening to French all week I was happy to be back in Vancouver, enjoying the view from my apartment. Here's a couple photos:

The city life has been interesting. After being squished inside a public bus between several people and the windshield I desperately miss my car. I'm starting to know the city by the type of bums or insane birds I see while running in the morning. The city has an active recycling program by all the homeless people that dumster dive. One morning I was running down the seawall and a bum crawled out of a large dumpster right in front of me. My entire workout was the moment the bum scared me.

In a another couple months I'll be moving to Salt Lake to follow a project group relocation. Until then stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment